Alaska’s Heart Through Student Art 2022

Three pieces of student art on a table with silent auction bid forms in front.This spring, Alaska’s Heart Through Student Art, the statewide celebration and auction of student art from all 54 school districts, made its in-person return to the Andrew P. Kashevaroff State Museum. Once again legislators, statewide educational leaders, teachers, and student artists were able to celebrate student artists together.

This is the 7th year that Alaska Council for School Administrators has sponsored the event, collecting art nominated from all over Alaska. Schools shipped pieces to Juneau where ACSA staff and volunteers from the Alaska Arts Education Consortium set up the pieces for display. To kick it all off, ACSA sponsored a reception, bringing educators, administrators and legislators together.

The reception featured both a silent and a live auction. Senator Peter Micciche served as auctioneer as legislators and school administrators enthusiastically bid. By the end of the night, every single piece had sold. Student artists who chose to participate in the  auction received 60% of the proceeds of the sale with the other 40% going to support the annual Student Champion Scholarship, which allows an Alaskan high school student funds to support their development as an artist.  Chase Jimmie of Rampart was this year’s scholarship winner. He attended the reception with his mother, Michelle James.

The exhibit, which included 147 art pieces from 27 different Alaskan school districts, was on display at the museum from March 21-April 5th. Student work included: paintings, prints, beading, earrings, hand-sewn baby mukluks, ceramics, metal sculpture, carvings and traditional and digital art.

A man holding a painting standing next to an man raising his hand toward the audience
Sam Jordan (ACSA), holds up a painting, while Senator Micciche, takes bids from the audience.
People stand alongside a long table filled with student art and bid sheets. One man bends to sign a sheet.
Guests bid on pieces during the silent auction.
A row of six people standing inside the State Museum.
From L-R: Annie Calkins (AAEC Board Advisor), Jessica Christianson (AAEC Board Advisor), Chase Jimmie (2022 Student Champion of the Arts in Education), Michelle James (Chase’s mother), Katy Ritter (AAEC Board), Christine Crooks (AAEC Board Emeritus)
A glass cases at the museum with a variety of student art pieces.
Student art on display.

Click on any piece to enter gallery mode: